The mission of the Office of Emergency Management (OEM) is to enable, promote, and support the preparedness, responsiveness, and sustainability of all elements of The George Washington University.
The vision of OEM is to foster a culture that embraces the importance of preparedness at The George Washington University.
The university's leadership established OEM in December 2001, to coordinate GW's preparation for, response to, and recovery from incidents. OEM is the primary resource for emergency preparedness, and contingency and continuity planning. OEM's outreach, partnerships, and planning efforts have been repeatedly recognized for their quality by the International Association of Emergency Managers (IAEM).
- Prepared and maintains the university's Incident Manual
- Utilizes several supplemental methods to facilitate incident communications, such as Alert DC and GW Alert
- Participates in and conducts numerous exercises annually to empower participants, examine plans and equipment, and demonstrate decision making processes
- Enjoys numerous important internal and external partnerships
- Develops and implements many outreach programs to promote public safety, awareness, confidence, and preparedness across the GW Community