GW Police Department Crime Advisory
Crime Advisory messages are part of the university's commitment to provide timely warnings of campus-area crime information in compliance with the Clery Act.
Incident Date & Time: Reported September 20, 21, 25, 2019
Incident Types: Burglary II & Attempted Burglary
Location/Address: Academic Center/801 22nd Street NW
Suspect Information: Unknown
On Friday, September 20, 2019, GW Police Department (GWPD) responded to a report of a break-in at Phillips Hall. Unknown suspect(s) gained entry to an office and university-owned property was taken.
On Saturday, September 21, 2019, GWPD responded to a report of a break-in at Smith Hall. Unknown suspect(s) gained entry to an office but no items were reported missing.
On Wednesday, September 25, 2019, GWPD was notified of a series of attempted burglaries in Smith Hall. Unknown suspect(s) attempted to gain entry to a classroom, faculty office and studio space by force. The damages are consistent with attempts to force entry with pry or crow bars. No student or university-owned property was reported missing.
The GWPD firmly believes that crime is never the fault of the victim. These general safety tips are provided in an effort to assist all members of the university community.
- Report criminal incident and suspicious activities/individuals by calling 202-994-6111 (on campus) or 9-1-1 (off campus).
- Do not leave offices or residential rooms unlocked when no one is there.
- Never leave property unattended or unsecured. If you cannot secure the items, carry them with you.
- Keep items of value out of sight.
- Don’t leave anything valuable in your car. Take everything with you. If you must leave something of value in your vehicle, lock it in the trunk.
Anyone with information regarding these incidents is asked to call the GW Police Department at (202) 994-6111, or via anonymous tip at 202-994-TIPS (202-994-8477)