The annual National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony will take place near the White House on Thursday, December 4. The ceremony begins at 4:30 p.m.
Road closures around the White House begin at 1 p.m. and continue until the conclusion of the program at 7:00 p.m. Affected roadways include 15th, 17th and 18th Streets NW.
Metrobus is expecting detours and service disruptions in the area. Check Metro’s site below for additional information.
Due to the heavy pedestrian crowds associated with this event, motorists are encouraged to exercise caution when traveling in these areas.
The following sites are provided for your reference:
- National Christmas Tree Lighting 2014 http://thenationaltree.org
- Metropolitan Police Department: "Traffic Advisory: National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony" http://mpdc.dc.gov/release/traffic-advisory-national-christmas-tree-lighting-ceremony
- METRO: “Downtown Bus Service During PM Rush for the National Christmas Tree Lighting, Dec 4” http://www.wmata.com/rider_
- WTOP: “National Christmas Tree Lighting Ceremony to cause D.C. traffic delays” http://wtop.com/41/3755058/
National-Christmas-Tree- Lighting-Ceremony-to-cause-DC- traffic-delays
- Washington Post: “Christmas tree lighting, scourge of commuters, set for Thursday” http://www.washingtonpost.com/
blogs/dr-gridlock/wp/2014/12/ 02/christmas-tree-lighting- scourge-of-commuters-set-for- thursday