The following are key winter season reminders for all members of the GW community:
University Status and Important Information
- Check the GW Campus Advisories for the latest updates affecting the University's operations. Call the GW Information Line at 202-994-5050 for any updates affecting operations of the Foggy Bottom and Mount Vernon campuses. For updates regarding the Virginia Science and Technology Campus, call 703-726-8333.
- Update your GW Alert emergency text messaging information by logging into Banner.
- Monitor local media for weather updates and community information (eg.: WTOP, NBC4).
- A weather widget is located on the right side of the GW Campus Advisories website, which provides current weather conditions. The Weather Alerts widget provides severe weather warnings for Washington, D.C. and Ashburn, VA.
Winter Preparedness Tips
- Build a kit containing items such as prescription medication, non-perishable food items, water, a flashlight, a change of clothes, toiletries, cell phone and cell phone charger, among other essentials. This is a good tip to practice throughout the year and not just during the winter season.
- Leave enough time to be able to walk safely from one building to the next. Avoid running, jogging, quickly changing directions or sudden stops to minimize chances of slipping.
- Dress appropriately while outdoors, especially when temperatures are extremely low.
Employee, Supervisor, and Departmental Reminders
- Review your roles and responsibilities as an employee (especially if you are designated/essential personnel) during adverse weather. For questions or assistance regarding designated personnel, please contact your department head.
- If telecommuting, test equipment and connectivity regularly.
- Be familiar with Metrobus and Metrorail winter weather policies (see link below).
Winter Weather Resources
- DC Department of Transportation: "District of Columbia Winter Snow Plan--Snow and Ice Control (including links to the Snow Guide and Snow Emergency Routes List and Map)"
- METRO: "Metro Bus & Rail Service in Snow"
- DC Department of Human Services: "Hypothermia Watch Partner Program and Winter Plan"
- WTOP: Weather Center
- National Weather Service, Baltimore/Washington
- Regional transit systems
- Capital Region Updates (regional alerts)