There are two permitted events scheduled to occur Saturday in D.C. Justice for J6 will take place at Union Square near the U.S. Capitol building, and Dear Fascist Losers: DC Means Don’t Come will take place at Freedom Plaza. While we do not anticipate impacts on campus, we expect an increased number of people gathering in and around Washington, D.C. and rolling road closures. In preparation for these events, fencing has been installed around the U.S. Capitol.
If/when you are on the Foggy Bottom Campus, always take the following safety precautions:
- Check your text and mobile settings for GW’s text alerts.
- Access notifications, GW advisories, and GW alerts via your inbox and push notifications by downloading the GW Guardian App.
- Plan for the possibility of increased pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Make sure doors close and lock behind you as you arrive and depart.
- Do not grant people you don’t know access to campus buildings.
- Carry identification and your GWorld whether you are on or off campus.
- If there is a disturbance, seek shelter indoors until normal conditions return. Contact GWPD at: 202-994-6111, or 911. Observe directions from law enforcement personnel.
We understand that for some members of our community, the permitted protests this weekend could bring up various feelings. We want to acknowledge the trauma and grief that this particular year and previous events may have caused. Should you wish to take advantage of our community support resources, please reach out to our Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) staff at 202-994-5300 (option 2) or the Employee Assistance Program.
Our team is prepared to maintain the safety of our campus. GW will monitor activity and send email and text alerts as necessary. The latest safety and security information will be posted here on GW’s Campus Advisories. GW Police will be actively patrolling campus throughout the day and are available to respond to and security concerns by calling 202-994-6111.