The Office of Emergency Management and GW Police Department are continuing to monitor for potential GW community impacts related to the Israel-Hamas war. We do not have any information that suggests a threat to GW or any District-based college or university campuses.
However, it is always important to be informed of safety precautions and aware of your surroundings.
Please see below for safety tips on and off campus:
- Be aware of the behavior of those around you and report suspicious or threatening behavior immediately to GWPD at 202-994-6111 or the Metropolitan Police Department through 911.
- Do not engage with individuals seeking a confrontation.
- If there is a disturbance, seek shelter indoors until normal conditions return.
- Observe directions from law enforcement personnel.
- Make sure doors close and lock behind you as you arrive and depart.
- Do not allow strangers into GW buildings.
- Carry identification and your GWorld card at all times.
If large crowds start to gather and you choose to exercise your First Amendment rights, we urge you to follow these tips:
- Be aware of the behavior of those around you and report suspicious behavior.
- Monitor traffic reports, weather reports, and emergency notifications.
- Share your plan with someone outside your group.
- Stay with your group. Have a predetermined plan on where to meet if you get separated.
- Have a secondary communication plan in case cell phone signals are limited.
- View Student Rights & Responsibilities’ Guide to Protest Activities.
GW’s Office of Emergency Management is collaborating with local and regional public safety organizations to monitor activity in the District and will send email and/or text alerts to the entire GW community if necessary. The latest safety and security information will be posted here on Campus Advisories.
For additional safety and security resources, visit the Safety website or download the GW Guardian app. Additional emergency management information from the District of Columbia is also available online.
All GW community members are automatically signed up to receive GW emergency email alerts. You can manage your GW Alert account to also receive GW text alerts to your mobile device. In addition to adding your own mobile number, you can add up to three email addresses and phone numbers so that friends or relatives may also receive GW emergency alerts. Visit GW Alert FAQ for instructions on how to manage your account. In addition, for those who use mobile apps, the GW Guardian App will push GW emergency alerts directly to the app, as well as other safety functions.