The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm watch for the District of Columbia and Loudoun County, VA., from Sunday, Jan. 31, through Tuesday, Feb. 1. Currently, snow is expected to start early Sunday morning and affect the Foggy Bottom, Mount Vernon and Virginia Science and Technology campuses. Heavy snow is possible with the potential for five or more inches of snow. GW Emergency Management will be monitoring the situation throughout the weekend and will provide updates on the university’s operational status as necessary.
Information will be communicated through the following ways:
- Text and email alerts through GW Alerts.
- Messages through the GW Guardian App
- GW’s homepage and Campus Advisories
- GW Information Line (202-994-5050) and School of Medicine and Health Sciences Information Line (202-994-2196)
- Social media via Twitter and Facebook
If the university declares a change to its operating status, employees classified as Designated On-Site are required to report to and/or remain at work. If you are unsure of your classification, please ask your supervisor.
For preparedness tips and safety information, refer to GW’s Emergency Response Handbook or visit the Department of Homeland Security’s Ready.gov website for additional resources to help you plan ahead for emergencies.