Independence Day is a time for celebration, especially in Washington, D.C. Several
Independence Day events are taking place throughout the holiday weekend, including
the Smithsonian Folklife Festival, the National Archives Celebration, the Capitol Hill
Parade on Barracks Row, the National Independence Day Parade, and the
Independence Day Celebration in the Nation’s Capital.
In anticipation of various Independence Day events, the D.C. Metropolitan Police Department will implement several parking restrictions and street closures. For timely traffic information please visit MPD Twitter.
The following safety reminders are provided to encourage a safe holiday:
• Close and lock doors behind you.
• Do not allow strangers into GW buildings.
• Do not allow non-GW community members access to GW restrooms.
• Carry your GWorld card with you at all times.
• Report any unusual activity or objects out of place to the GW Police Department
at 202-994-6111 or 911.
• Anticipate heightened security and checkpoints at the National Mall.
• Travel light, take water, and be prepared for adverse weather, including high
humidity and warm temperatures.
• Seek shade and stay hydrated during extreme heat.
• Seek shelter indoors during adverse weather and in the event of an emergency.
• Follow directions from law enforcement personnel onsite.
• Allow ample travel time to and from the National Mall, keeping in mind road and sidewalk closures.
• Expect delays and crowding at nearby Metro stations, including Foggy Bottom-
GWU, Farragut West, and Farragut North.
• Monitor local media for updates regarding events, travel delays, and weather.
• Practice fireworks safety. The best way to protect your family is not to use
fireworks at home, but if you decide to use fireworks, it is important to always
follow the instructions and safety tips to reduce risks.
• Visit Campus Advisories for up-to-date information related to GW.
• Refer to the Emergency Response Handbook for preparedness tips and
In addition to Campus Advisories, GW community members can find emergency
preparedness resources at safety.gwu.edu. From the Ready GW webpage, GW
community members can manage their GW Alert account to receive GW text alerts to
their mobile devices. For those who use mobile apps, the Ready GW webpage provides
a link to download the GW Guardian App, which provides GW emergency alerts directly
to the app and features several other safety functions.