As you may be aware, multiple First Amendment demonstrations are scheduled to occur in the District of Columbia this week, beginning tomorrow, January 5th. While we do not anticipate disruptions, we expect an increased number of people gathering in and around Washington, D.C.
The anticipated overall impacts to the District include road closures and disruptions to businesses and government services located in the impacted area and are likely to resemble similar events that took place in November and December.
If/when you are on the Foggy Bottom Campus over the next several days, please take the following safety precautions:
- Check your text and mobile settings for GW’s text alerts.
- You can also access notifications, GW advisories, and GW alerts via your inbox and push notifications by downloading the GW Guardian App.
- Plan for the possibility of increased pedestrian and vehicular traffic.
- Make sure doors close and lock behind you as you arrive and depart.
- Do not allow strangers into GW buildings.
- Carry identification and your GWorld card at all times when on or off campus.
- If there is a disturbance, seek shelter indoors until normal conditions return. Observe directions from law enforcement personnel.
- GW Police will be on campus and will be available for assistance, if necessary
- The GW COVID-19 testing site at the Marvin Center will remain open.
- The GW MFA COVID-19 testing site at Shenkman Hall will remain open.
- The GW MFA COVID-19 vaccine clinic at Lerner Health and Wellness will remain open.
In conjunction with these demonstrations, there will be parking restrictions and potential street closures that motorists should take into consideration. For a complete list of parking restrictions and street closures visit GW’s Campus Advisories.
We will monitor activity in the District very closely and will send email and text alerts to our community as necessary. The latest safety and security information will be posted on GW’s Campus Advisories.
To that end, we encourage you to always remain vigilant. Additional emergency management information from the District of Columbia is also available online.
While we don’t expect any disruption, we will be prepared. We appreciate your partnership as we navigate the upcoming days.
In case of an emergency on campus, call GWPD at 202-994-6110. If you are off campus call Metropolitan Police using 911.
FOGGY BOTTOM CAMPUS STATUS:
The university will continue its current operational status through virtual learning, telework and limited in-person activities on the FOGGY BOTTOM CAMPUS. Students, faculty and staff currently learning, teaching and working remotely should continue to do so.
OEM will continue to monitor the situation and will reevaluate campus operations for Wednesday January 6th as new information presents itself.