December 29th, 9:30p-4:00a EST
On Wednesday, December 29th, 2021, the Academic Center (SMoA, Rome Hall, & Phillips Hall) on Foggy Bottom campus will experience a planned power outage from 9:30pm to 4:00am EST. This power outage is a necessary part of required testing and inspections of high voltage service equipment, and ensures all tests and inspections are conducted safely. We know being without power is inconvenient and we appreciate your patience during these planned outages.
Helpful Tips for Planned Power Outages:
- Notify personnel, as needed.
- Charge your GW cell phones or any other emergency communication devices.
- Unplug any sensitive electronic equipment such as computers and testing instruments, if necessary.
- Notify Central Station and conduct a Fire Watch for affected buildings, if applicable.
- Know how to manually operate garage doors and electric gates.
- Minimize opening refrigerator and freezer doors during the outage.
- Check the backup generator for operation.
- Remember that electrical systems we rely on will be unavailable during the outage such as elevators and electronic access systems.
- Check UPS systems for planned power outage procedures, if applicable.
- Will Housekeeping/Custodial services need to be curtailed during this time?
- Impact to HVAC systems?
- This may be a good time to perform any other scheduled maintenance needed for program specific needs.
- Once the power has been restored for about 10 minutes, turn your equipment back on in stages so that you don't overload the circuit.
- Consider the time required for startup of specialized equipment, if applicable.